The Lakeside Parent Volunteer Organization
The objective of the Parent Volunteer Organization (PVO) at Lakeside Presbyterian Center for Children is to work in support of the school administration and staff to enhance this important first school experience for our children. Parent involvement enriches our children's education. Parent involvement is essential to Lakeside's success. Parent involvement enables all PVO activities and events to take place. All parents of enrolled children are automatically members of the PVO.
The PVO plans and sponsors a host of wonderful events, programs, and services throughout the school year.
- Events and Field Trips - Every year, the PVO hosts welcome coffee hours for parents on their children's first day of school, a family welcome picnic at the San Francisco Zoo, a fall trip to the pumpkin patch in Half Moon Bay, a Halloween festival at school, a Christmas-time family outing to Davies Symphony Hall, Santa's visit to the school, a Christmas program and party at school, a catered dinner party at school to which each child invites a special guest, a spring family picnic, and graduation.
- Enrichment Programs for Children - The PVO provides the funds to underwrite cultural, musical, and educational enrichment programs and activities at the school. These include visits from Chinese Lion Dancers at Chinese New Year and various artistic troupes throughout the year.
- Educational Programs for Parents - each month the PVO hosts an informational or educational meeting for parents to attend. Often there are guest speakers on topics of interest to Lakeside parents. For example, representatives from two parochial schools and Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco have come to speak about kindergarten options, how to choose the right kindergarten for your child, and the application process.
- Monthly Newsletter - At the beginning of each month, the PVO publishes a newsletter that includes reports from the teachers of each class, photos, information about upcoming school activities, and tips to help parents navigate these early school years.
- School Yearbook - The PVO coordinates the production of yearbooks containing photos of all of the classes and photos from all of the school events throughout the year.
- School Logo Wear - The PVO organizes the sale of sweatshirts bearing the Lakeside name and logo, so that students and their parents can proudly show their school spirit.
- Hot Lunch Program - Children in Extended Care may choose to participate in the Hot Lunch Program. Twice a week, the PVO arranges for pizza to be delivered. Parents need only put their child's name on the calendar when they would like their child to participate.
- Teachers' Luncheons - The PVO underwrites a monthly catered lunch for Lakeside teachers and staff. These luncheons create an opportunity for teachers and staff to discuss curriculum and school activities.
- Community Outreach - Each year, the PVO organizes a Thanksgiving Food Drive for the San Francisco Food Bank and a Christmas toy drive for Toys for Tots.
- Fundraising - A major function of the PVO is to raise funds for the school and for all of its events and activities. Fundraising is a crucial part of maintaining the diversity of programs, quality of facilities, and type of experience at Lakeside. You can see just what we have planned here.
Lakeside would not be the amazing school it is without the Lakeside PVO. The PVO works hand in hand with our exceptional teachers and staff to provide students with the most rewarding early school experience possible. We feel our parent commitment is essential to the school's success and an integral part of our program.